Want to help contribute to the development of the Civic Tech Field Guide? Check out our open issues at Github.
July 31, 2019
- Added sitemap
- Fixed padding issue on category descriptions
- Replaced “Join Now” nav item for logged out users with “Add Project”
- Cleaned up copy on “Claim listing” modal
- Updated WordPress to version 5.2.2
- Added placeholder image for listings missing a featured image
- Imported 838 new projects – we’re now at over 3,000 entries!
- Opened permissions to that Contributor-level users can add and edit more data, including images
- Removed 9 extraneous data fields from listings in WordPress
June 30, 2019
- Added page explaining How to claim your page on the Field Guide
- Rewrote “claim your page” modal to improve the copy, and removed phone number required field
- Added categories for Journals, Glossaries, Government trainings, Civic tech community surveys, Shows, Certifications, Circumvention tech, Surveys, Interactive Voice Response, Fintech for low-income communities, Decentralization, Whistleblowing, Direct action, Network visualizations, Civic imagination, Canvassing, Report cards, Satellites.
May 20, 2019
- Created https://civictech.guide/new/ for a longer list of recently added entries
- Fixed Twitter timeline embed on many entries
- Updated homepage: we’ve hosted visitors from over 100 countries
- Resolved issue with search autosuggestions, so that clicking category autosuggestions now go directly to the category page without requiring further action
- Backfilled parent category hierarchies for submissions that were missing them to improve consistency of category data
- Added project URLs to project cards in the Grid view so that users don’t need to click through to each profile. https://civictech.guide/new/, for example
- Added feature icons to homepage to replace some of the wall of text
- Updated Knight Foundation logo with white background for improved visibility and cropped Luminate logo to standardize sizes
- Create country- and city-specific maps to populate geographic pages. https://civictech.guide/france/, for example
- Added bit.ly links to track calendar downloads, removed Berlin timezone parameters from calendar URLs
- Fixed issue with CSS caching to clean up homepage fonts and category page bullet points
April 24, 2019
- Updated 3 months of WP theme improvements
- Added Home navigation item to menu, along with Blog, Name generator, Adjacent fields
- Added action buttons to civictech.guide/timeline
- Resolved some broken Twitter embeds
- Prototyping country-, city-, and topic-specific pages like https://civictech.guide/france/, https://civictech.guide/access-public-benefits/, https://civictech.guide/nederland/
- Cleaned up primary nav menu so it doesn’t break
- Added Whatsapp field for mobile-based projects
- Removed images from submission page for faster loader time
- Cleaned up extraneous categories
- Divided “open data platforms” into discrete categories for portals (14) and platforms (33) and fixed images for all of them
- Set new entries to automatically included featured images from the media library, or a default fall-back image if there is none
- Added TICTeC presentation to the timeline page for additional context
- Rescued ~20 listings that lost their category when they were originally imported
- Removed character limit on project cards so that project titles no longer get truncated.
March 28, 2019
- Fixed the raw HTML that was sending in transactional site emails, and rewrote email copy for all emails
- Added Founded year data for over 2,000 entries and pending entries
- Added the environment and sustainability category to the adjacent fields index
- Fixed password recovery link not appearing in recovery emails
- Added pages for About Us, Guiding Principles, and How to use this, and added “What can I do with” to the front page with more explainer text
- Added Civic Hall, Knight, and Luminate support logos to site footer
- Added Civic Hall link, About Us, Guiding Principles, and What can I do with… to the primary navigation
- Moved ‘Related entries’ recommendation engine to appear below Twitter embeds (example)
- Resolved issue with primary navigation submenus not loading
- Fixed issue with long URLs breaking the project card design on mobile by truncating human view of the links while retaining the link value upon clicking
- Added categories for Artistic interventions and Government AI strategies
- Fixed SSL certificates
- Updated https://civictech.guide/what-can-i-do-with-the-civic-tech-field-guide/ with images and space
February 24, 2019
- Updated Listing template to display all categories a Listing has, instead of only one category. For example, https://civictech.guide/listing/public-school/ actually belongs to ‘Graveyard’ and ‘Supporting specific public sector efforts from outside government’. Ordered these by hierarchy, with commas separating.
- Also removed the duplicate Listing title from this breadcrumbs section, since it already appears immediately below it.
- Distinguished Graveyard entries throughout the site with light gray background color (listing-category/graveyard/)
- Broke News to Action tools out into their own category and fixed Media section so it’s not all under Solutions Journalism header
- Added site to the Internet Archive
February 15, 2019
- Added this changelog to site
- Configured new calendar and calendar widgets (see footer area) system, replacing the buggy Jetpack widget that was intermittently synchronizing with Google Calendar.
- Refreshed and reformatted the events in both calendars as well.
- Added and populated “In the news” block to homepage for hot topics
- Improved and updated the Tech and the People table of contents pages
- Got Related entries recommendation engine working below posts, example
- Fixed bug where Links URL spills over into main body section of Listing
- Determined cause of a bug that was routinely breaking image filepaths
February 5, 2019
- Improved visibility of the footer font, including the site CC license
- Removed duplicate admin data fields in the Listing edit page to clean things up
- Added an XML site generator to improve SEO
- Added a live “happening now” block for key conferences and events
- Fixed ability to use WordPress.com logins on the site
- Profile page improvements:
- add “Founded” year to profile
- add “Closed” year to profile for graveyard projects we have date info for
- Move “Language” ACF higher in the template, immediately under “Date founded” and “Date closed”
- Corrected “Founded” line to read “Founders”
- Changed “Parent organization” to instead read “Host organization”, and fixed the broken link where this data wasn’t appearing correctly
- Fixing ‘Links’ section so link description text is hyperlinked
- Added a field for postmortem links and displayed it in the “What happened” section
- For entries where we have their Twitter information in the ACF Twitter field, it will now automatically embed their recent tweets at the bottom of the listing
- Improved ‘Get in Touch’ section copy to:
- Contact page
- Open jobs
- Upcoming events
January 25, 2019
- Restored category descriptions and moved them to the TOP of category pages, instead of languishing at the bottom underneath listings.
- Completed category descriptions for all Tech categories
- Speed optimizations:
- Optimized / defragmented WordPress database
- Set up “lazy loading” of images, videos, iframes, etc. to drastically improve user experience of speed
- Installed a database viewer to facilitate admins adding data quickly
- Fixed an issue with custom fields plugin not updating
- Removed the “tag” icon clutter on listing cards.
- Fixed a bug where the second pages of certain categories would display all Listings, rather than displaying the second page that category’s Listings.
- Fixed a bug where the grid view design was broken on the second page of some results.
January 22, 2019
- Updated category pages to show 40 entries per page
- Speed optimizations:
- Brought page render start from 1.7 to 1.3 seconds
- Brought render complete from 3.79 to 2.95 seconds
- minify, aggregate HTML
- minify, aggregate, and pre-load CSS
- remove WordPress cruft
- Combine and load fonts asynchronously with webfont.js
- Disabled Gravatar
- Re-hosted testimonial images locally to cache
- Cleaned up the copy at https://civictech.guide/submit-listing/
January 15, 2019
- You can now view and click the links for each entry from their category pages, so you don’t have to click through to individual page profiles first. (example)
- The search bar in the header no longer performs its silly entrance animation
- Removed duplicate search bar on Category pages so you can see the listings faster
- Profile pages now display section and other headings only if the data exist, making for cleaner profile pages
- Category pages now display only the category title, like “Participatory budgeting”, instead of “Results for Participatory budgeting Listings”.
- Fixed a bug where some Listings displayed a second Website URL, “h”, underneath the first URL.
- We’ve updated the Civic Tech Graveyard with a more complete collection, and brought it more information to the profiles from previous reporting (and will continue adding to it).
- We’re adding sub-categories for political social networks, chat apps and bots, and campaign call tools (with entries for these on the way).
- We’ve cross-posted the problem with impact measurement and civic tech graveyard pieces on the site
- Updated the theme
January 1, 2019
- improved styling of the ‘Explore the Guide’ Table of Contents on the homepage
- Updated the theme